Welcome To My Nightmare: Halloween Blog

Ever have a nightmare so frightening you wake up bathed in sweat, your heart is pounding, and you’re anchored to your bed by confusion, and fear? The dream felt so real, and surely if you got up, there’d be a boogeyman standing in the dark corner waiting for you to walk by on your way to the bathroom?

So, last night I lay in bed and racked my brain on what to blog about for Halloween weekend. I’d been reading scary, spooky books this month and was hoping to post my recommendations for the blog. I fell asleep, and along came a nightmare, instead.

**The husband in my dream looked nothing like the man I really am married to, but he was behind the wheel of a junker of a white mini-van, I was in the passenger seat, and we were laughing about something as we drove down a parking ramp.

He braked to a stop to avoid what lay, sprawled and lifeless, at the bottom of the ramp–a human body, clothed in a light track suit. Beneath the body, an inky pool of liquid blackened and spread across the concrete at a frightening rate. Blood!

Two figures moved out from behind the body and advanced toward the van. I saw the long silvery flash of a machete being wielded by one of the men. Oddly, there wasn’t any blood on the blade, but I wasn’t about to roll my window down (even in my dream) and make polite inquiries.

“Back up. Hurry!” I pleaded, but my partner, driver, husband—whatever he was—realized the danger we were in. He’d shifted into reverse and was already backing away. There wasn’t a car behind us, and we managed to slip into an opening in traffic and race off.

I pressed the locking mechanism on the door as a cautionary measure, unbuckled myself and stumbled to the back of the van to look out the rear window. Suddenly we found ourselves stuck in traffic!

Twenty yards away, the two men emerged onto the sidewalk, and were quickly walking toward us. There were other people strolling along, crowding them out and slowing them down. But with our van at a dead stop, their steps picked up speed, and stealth, toward our unmoving van!

My gaze focused on the one man I could see through the throng of pedestrians heading our way. I blinked in surprise, struck by a sense of familiarity in the way his crop of dark hair curled at the ends. His lean, handsome features flashed through my mind. My brain sought a match, struggling to link him to a place in my past where we’d met before.

A woman got in his way before my mind could tag him with an identity. He didn’t shove the woman aside, but checked his stride and slowed down. Traffic moved just as the woman stepped out of the way, yet seconds later we jerked to another stop in traffic!

I sought out his features for closer inspection, and found myself staring directly into a telephoto zoom lens pointed directly at me instead… **

A common nightmare is being chased by something. When I was a child, it was a monster that chased me. As an adult, why a nightmare about being chased by a hot-looking criminal?? Why am I in a mini-van? Why not a dream about sipping icy cocktails topped with drink umbrellas speared with juicy chunks of ripe mango under a palm tree? Ah well, the best thing about nightmares is eventually you wake up to a reality that’s somewhere far from Elm Street. Happy dreaming!

I vant to drink your blood...(not really)

This entry was posted in Fiction, Romance Writers and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Welcome To My Nightmare: Halloween Blog

1. Mr Black says:

Bravo! (now, who is this dream husband?)

2. Eva P. says:

I tend to have very vivid dreams, and there have been some scary ones, but some good ones too. It’s scary to wake up with your heart pouding because you were trying to get away from someone or something. I’ve woken up with tears and I’ve also woken up with a smile on my face because I was having a funny dream.

3. Renee Bennett says:

Ever have a nightmare so frightening you wake up bathed in sweat, your heart is pounding, and you’re anchored to your bed by confusion, and fear? Oh yeah! The last one I had, I woke up trying to scream and nothing would come out. What’s even more scary was that I couldn’t remember what scared me that bad. That’s worse than remembering the nightmare.

Having a hopping good time! It’s great visiting with old friends and finding new authors and books to add to my wish list.

Thank you for being part of the hop AND for the chance to win!

reneebennett35 at yahoo dot com

• Lelani Black says:

Renee, thank you so very much for coming by. Sometimes we can’t always remember dreams, or even nightmares for that matter. Yet we can remember, oddly, how it made us feel. Happy, sad, scared 🙂 Happy Howl-o’ween!

4. susan leech says:

I have had some scary dreams and wake up and can not get back to sleep. I also dream about so many of my friends who has passed away and these are usually nice as I have a chance to be with them again. I was in a cluster of 6 ladies when we were raising our children and four are gone and one is in bad health..worst then I am. It is sad when I stop and think of the fun we had and how they all passed away with in years of each other. susan Leech garysue@dejazzd.comm Thanks for your part in this contest.

• Lelani Black says:

Susan, hugs to you. At least, in those dreams you can see your friends/ loved ones, and be with them, and relive those moments, memories and feelings that you’ll always have of them. It’s so bittersweet, to know your longing to see their faces and hear their voices can bring them to you in your dreams, even just for a little while. You are very fortunate to have had the love and care of special friends to share your life with. Some people go through life never knowing what if feels like to have those unique, lifelong bonds. Take good care of yourself, my dear.

5. Missy says:

I don’t really have nightmares anymore. As a child, however, I would dream about those hideous flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. Those things scared the pants right off me. I would always wake up screaming, with all the covers pulled over my head. I don’t see them as scary anymore, but back then it was a completely different story.

Thanks for the chance!!

mnjcarter@charter.net

• Lelani Black says:

Missy, I always remembered the sweet good witch in The Wizard of Oz, too. That was one of my favorite childhood movies, next to The Sound of Music 🙂 To this day, the theme song from the original Halloween movie still carries some scary punch with me. Thank you so much for stopping by. Be sure to visit the other blogs, too, if you can, and good luck!

6. Kathryn Merkel says:

Can’t recall any scary dreams recently, they’ve been mostly just weird, but as a child I had a recurring dream about a tiger that came into my parents business through a huge hole in the wall. I always woke up before the tiger reached me & don’t know why there was such a big hole in the wall, but it did make it hard to go back to sleep for a while.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

• Lelani Black says:

Okay, Kathryn, that’s different! (Putting my dream interpreter hat on, well it is Halloween, lol) So maybe that recurring dream was an inkling of someone/something trying to ruin your family’s business? Or maybe the hole in the wall meant the business was ready to expand. Or maybe I’ve just got it all wrong 😉 but…really fascinating. I also think some people don’t have as many nightmares as adults because they’ve outgrown, conquered or aged out of those fears. Thank you for stopping by and sharing!

7. Julianne says:

I’ve had some terribly vivid nightmares. I’m sure the dream only lasted a few minutes, but it seemed to go on and on. I dreamed that my son and husband were both shot right in front of me. My husband had already left for work, so he wasn’t home. When I woke up, I had to run to my son’s room and make sure he was alright. I think I sat there on his bed for a few hours just watching him sleep. That is one dream I really would like to forget.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces@yahoo.com

• Lelani Black says:

Julianne, knowing how vivid nightmares are and how the dreamer wakes up feeling all the emotion the nightmare created, that has got to be one of the most awful nightmares to have. Loved ones being taken from you, and being powerless to stop it. Thank you for sharing.

8. Gloria says:

I don’t remember my dreams much as an adult. I did as a child. Had a lot of scary ones. The one I recall the most is being hunted by the Looney Toons characters. Yikes! Thanks!

geschumann at live dot com

• Lelani Black says:

Gloria, Looney Toons characters? Okay, I now know one person who didn’t have nightmares as a kid, and that’s you. You didn’t miss out on not having nightmares. It’s a weird out of body but in your body experience. But now I can’t seem to get Daffy Duck’s lisp out of my head…

9. Arlie Pointe says:

Great post. I am continuously checking this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful information. Thank you.